In the-mid 1790s, the famous poet and writer Lord (George Gordon) Byron attended Aberdeen Grammar School for four years. A commemorative statue to Byron sits in front of the school entrance. It is a granite sculpture with granite plinth and was created by Inverurie born sculptor James Pittendrigh MacGillivray (1856-1938)
As a result of a decision by the former City of Aberdeen Education Committee on the naming of comprehensive schools in the City, the School had its title officially changed to Rubislaw Academy (Aberdeen Grammar School) at the start of session 1970/71. Girls were admitted to the School for the first time at the beginning of session 1973/74 and the title of Aberdeen Grammar School was restored as a result of a decision by Grampian Regional Council taken on 31 March 1977.
The school was greatly damaged by fire on 2 July 1986, with 70% of the 1863 buildings being destroyed, including the large library, a collection of Lord Byron's notebooks, the trophy room and other classrooms, although the historic façade was mostly undamaged. The school was rebuilt over many years, incorporating modern facilities, while pupils studied in temporary classrooms in the playground.
Aberdeen Grammar School is now a six-year comprehensive school serving the central west-end area of Aberdeen. It is scheduled to undergo extensive refurbishment during the third stage of the '3Rs' ('Reorganise, Renovate, Rebuild') Project.